Thursday, September 11, 2008

Are you Serious?

Today, I am talking about something that pisses me off to no end. Ok, I admit, at one time I did have a Myspace account. It was a novel idea that was fun to play on for a couple of months and then the 'new' wore off and I lost interest & deleted the account. I do have several friends who still have them and that is a major means of communication. So, today I went to a friend's page to see if she had posted anything about how things were going between her & a guy she is dating. (yea, I know - I was stalking. I was trying to find out information that I should have just picked up the phone and called her about!)

In looking through her page, I noticed that one of our mutual friend's 10 year old daughter has a Myspace. Last I heard you have to be 14 to have a Myspace so the child had to have lied about her age in order to set up the account. That is not what I am freaking out over though. Her name on Myspace is "sexii lexii." After noticing the name, I noticed that her mom is one of her friends, therefore has to be aware of the child's name on the account.

************************************************************************************
*DISCLAIMER* I do not have kids therefore, I realize that I really am not allowed to have an opinion on this subject. I am in no way telling my friend how to raise her kids. I am stating my opinion and, granted, maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Possible irrational behaviors or statements may follow.
*************************************************************************************

There are reasons why the minimum age for Myspace is 14. When someone does one of those surveys or blog posts then the girl has access to it and some of those things are definitely not kid-friendly. Maybe the kid is mature to those things (which, I am sorry to say, would be sad at 10 or 11 ish years old) or if she is trusted to recognize the content and not look at those things. Even if these things were true - I don't think she should be allowed to have a name of that content.

I have sat here and typed 5 or 6 lines and then deleted them for fear of offending someone, which was not my intent with this post. I realize that despite my disclaimer earlier in the post, I probably need to keep my mouth shut and let people make their own opinions. Therefore, I am cutting this one short. Sorry for the abrupt end, but this is it. Maybe I can revise this after I have had a couple of days to think on it. Maybe I am being irrational and need a couple of days to think about it.

No comments: