Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympics

OK - I have to say that I am as patriotic as the next person, but will the Olympics please GO AWAY! i am so tired of hearing about the runners, the volleyball chicks, and the swimming guy. Like I said, all of this is awesome. I am proud of everybody & I know that they all worked really hard to get there. BLAH BLAH BLAH! I seriously don't remember the Olympics lasting this long before. When it was held in Atlanta I don't remember this much coverage of it! Is this another product of media over kill? Or, has there always been this much coverage and talk and I was just oblivious?

I will admit that I can be very self involved and sometimes I don't want to pay attention to current events or pop culture. I don't play Trivial Pursuit enough to need to keep all this information in my back pocket. Do they still make Trivial Pursuit? I believe that Hasbro (or whoever makes Trivial Pursuit) actually invented the Olympics so that they would have another category of questions. OK, maybe not. My true die hard conspiracy theorists might have fun with that one though.

In all serious, congrats to all the Olympians; even the ones who didn't get a medal. Just making it to compete in the Olympics is a huge accomplishment. Unfortunately, a couple of months from now the majority of people will not remember Michael Phelp's name or that Misty spread her mom's ashes in the sand when she won the beach volleyball gold medal. I guess that's the reason why I get tired of people talking about it is because I know that no one really cares enough to remember any of it past the next full moon.

So, I raise my glass to the Olympics... and I drink to it being over!!!

No comments: