Monday, August 25, 2008

Brushes with Fame

Who is the most famous person you have ever spoken to?

The most famous person I have ever stood next to was Jasin and Brent from a band called Shinedown. This being one of my all time favorite bands, I don't think I was actually able to speak to them, and if they spoke to me I was oblivious! Me and a friend went to a closed recording session with them and afterward they signed autographs and took pictures. They were very down to earth. If they had that typical rock star attitude they pushed it aside for this little meet & greet. They weren't rushing us to get through and they didn't act like teenagers who were forced to do something they really had no interest in.

Thankfully, I have a picture with both of them so I can reminisce and dream that we had some intelligent conversation rather than me just standing there like an idiot. The very same night, we met the guys from the band Three Doors Down. I think all of them were trippin and all they did was sit in chairs and try not to make eye contact with anybody. Totally the opposite of the guys from Shinedown. I actually have a different view of Three Doors Down after that - not because they were obviously high as a kite (my kind of people!) but because they were impersonal and didn't really want to deal.

Other than these two instances, I can't think of anyone even remotely famous that I know or that I have spoken to. I have seen local weather dudes in the grocery store, but I have never talked to them. And, let's be honest - that's not really a famous person! I have also seen some friends or acquaintances on the late night news or on America's Most Wanted. But, that's not really the 'famous' I am going for either!

My boss has a lot of stories of him meeting or having drinks with famous people and I am fascinated by all of them. I can't really think of anyone that I would just have to meet before I die or anything. I am more starstruck by musicians than actors or actresses but I am perfectly happy with going to their concerts. I don't need to have a conversation or move into the east wing of their house or anything. I can name several bands that I would love to do an acoustic set in my living room though!

I wonder, on average, of the people who have had the chance to meet their ultimate celebrity, who was satisfied with the outcome. I would think that most people are disappointed afterward. How often do you think celebrities live up to our expectations?

No comments: