Friday, March 27, 2009

Making the Run

Yesterday I had plans to leave work, go running, pick up the most delish deep dish pizza, meet a friend and go home and watch the basketball games. When I changed clothes before I left work, I realized that I did not bring socks!!!! I have never worn tennis shoes without socks. The feel and the smell... the whole thing grosses me out. Whenever I see people wearing tennis shoes without socks, my skin crawls.

In addition to the feel and the smell I was also wondering about the blisters... I was pretty well punking out of running. Some days talking myself out of running is not hard to do and with so much going on yesterday I didn't have to use my best charm.

I was on the phone with a co-worker in one of our other branches talking about an account we had worked hard on all day. The conversation went a little like this:

Judy: "This policy form actually excludes more of his operations than the
renewal offer from the incumbent."

Me: "Let me ask you something that has nothing to do with this."

Judy: "Good I am so tired of this account. Let's talk about something
else."

Me: "I forgot my socks to go running when I leave here this afternoon.
Should I run without socks?

Judy: "Ewww. That's gross! Won't you get blisters? I mean, I don't run,
but seems like that wouldn't be good for your feet."

Me: "Yea, you have a point. I really need to run though."

Judy: "Stop by a Walgreens and get a pair for a couple of
dollars."


Woah, That was a good idea. Besides, I love socks! I can certainly get a new pair or two! The only problem was that the only place like Walgreens where I could buy a cheap pair of socks would have put me on the other side of the park and half way home. So, I thought of one more thing.

I am quite frequently made fun of because I usually have more clothes in my car than I have in my closet. I ventured in the truck of my car and actually found a pair of dirty crumpled up socks... Yay! Basically, I traded one kind of gross for another. But - mentally it made me feel better and I went running.

Granted, the run sucked, but I did it. A little over half way through the 2nd of 3 laps I had a little bit of chest pain and had to walk most of the rest of the way, I did not punk out. I finished.

Today, while I sit here at 3:29, I am about to go change clothes - and socks - and go at it again today.

No comments: