Monday, July 6, 2009

Suspicious Minds

This is going to be a weird story but if anyone in Bloggy World has any experience with this I would appreciate the advice! A couple of months ago, after a long history of drug abuse, my cousin lost her fight with addiction. Because of the choices she made, some people in the family, including her sister, chose not to associate with her for the years prior to her passing. Since her death this has been a struggle of emotions.

My cousin was married for 12 years to a man that participated in the counteractive behaviors with her. It is not uncommon for husband and wife to share in addiction and of course, they usually fuel each other's habits, as it was in this case. She was pregnant when they married. Although she insisted for years that the child was/is her husband's we all had our suspicions that her daughter actually belongs to the guy she dated prior to marrying. That part of the story is actually irrelevant, as we always accepted the daughter as his and the three of them as a family - although a couple of weeks before her passing she did confess that she knew her current husband was not the father of her daughter. I guess I told that part to show that she had a tumultuous past.


Her and her husband had been on the outs and she was staying half the time at home and half the time with friends. And when I say friends I mean bad influence druggies that were taking advantage of her. At least that's what all indications lead to.


She was found on a Saturday morning lifeless on the couch where she had slept the night before. She had stayed at home the night before and supposedly made good with her husband. The story is that they had made amends and she was to live at home full time again. Her husband left that morning while she was still sleeping to run errands. He came home mid-morning supposedly to check on her and then headed out again to help a friend work on a car. She was notorious for sleeping for hours at a time without waking, so when he found her still asleep on the couch he decided that she had been continuously sleeping and therefore, no need to bother her.

An hour or so later he says he had a feeling that she needed him so he went home to check on her again. He couldn't see the rise and fall of her breath so he checked a little harder and found that she was not breathing. He started doing CPR on her when that didn't work he called my mother to say that he was taking her to the hospital. In short, she didn't make it to the hospital. We are not sure if she passed away on the way to the hospital, before he got there or even earlier that morning.


Because of some suspicious breaks in his story, there is talk that family members think he may have had something to do with her passing. Family members are trying to get the police department to launch an investigation. If anyone has experienced a similar situation I would appreciate an email. How much is enough to go on? There isn't that much to piece together but then again, there is. I guess I am trying to find out if someone were in this position how crazy did you think you were to think these things? I feel like a crazy person. And I must say that I am on the fence about his possible involvement.

This is probably the strangest thing I have ever talked about. Just putting it in writing leaves a lump in my throat. It makes it sound silly. I know I didn't go into the suspicions here, but I might in a later post, depending on how the next few days progress. In the meantime, my thoughts are with those who have been in this position before or those who wish they knew the real story.

No comments: